Welcome to Food Connect
WE ARE ON A MISSION TO DEMOCRATISE THE FOOD SYSTEM.
Food Connect Brisbane is a social enterprise founded in 2005 by ex-dairy farmer Robert Pekin, who was forced off his dairy farm in the late 1990’s and since then has been on a mission to create a fairer food system.
We ethically and transparently engage local farmers to supply ecological food that is in season and super fresh and we pay them about four times the amount of the big food chains, so more of your dollars go directly to the growers. Their beautiful produce is then delivered all over Brisbane for everyone to enjoy.
At Food Connect, local actually means local: our fresh fruit and vegetables, dairy products and bakery items travel no more than 400 kilometres before getting to your door, that’s why we can guarantee superior quality, freshness and a reduced impact on the environment*.
You can order and buy online, choosing from a range of great options: from weekly produce boxes to custom made shopping lists, fill up your fridge and pantry with delicious food that is fresh, in season, grown free from toxic chemicals and made with love by the best artisan food producers in the region. Start browsing through our local and seasonal food options and get your groceries direct from our great farmers.
We know you hate queuing at the shops, and that’s why we deliver all over Brisbane thanks to our unique network of City Cousins. It’s very simple: just find out where your local City Cousin is and we will deliver your groceries there every week, so you can do something fun with the time you save! Also, watch out for the occasional food tasting event that your local city cousin is hosting, those are heaps of fun and a great way to link to your local community.
So, that’s us... what about you? Are you passionate about food? Do you believe that a fairer food system is possible? Get in touch to find out more about our farmers, the issues they face every day and how we work to support them. Get involved with our many initiatives and events and help us democratise the food system!
* NOTE: Most of our "other" items like rice, coffee, flours etc don't travel more than 400kms, but some do. So we are including this disclaimer....
Some grocery items, hand made products and / or their ingredients can't be sourced from a 400km radius of Brisbane, it's just impossible. So we sell some items based on other merits. Here are some examples...
- a high percentage of the ingredients are local and / or organic, and they are made locally (such as some of Leavain's breads)
- the ingredients are all organic and the products are made locally (such as Cacoa Girl's treats and Sprout Artisan Bakery)
- they are providing jobs with fair pay and training in poverty stricken areas via direct supplier connections (POC coffee)
- it's a beautiful book and it's about fair food (Fair Food Book)